Friday, December 4, 2009

there is a time for everything

The signs of the change of seasons do not come without a warning. The skies begin to darken earlier.Our lungs take
in the frosty air. . Leaves fall. The rains come. The mighty East winds blow out the old dead leaves getting ready for a new season. Often we say "the dead of winter". many look at this time with dread and regret. the stress of
maneuvering those crowded shopping malls. Despair and sadness often becomes a stronghold with many during this time.
i recall last year when my holiday shopping was halted because i was to sick to be out in the public. I recall the best part of the season

as I continued with my post surgery chemo therapy, I lay in bed observing the Oregon Juncos and English Sparrows eating the purple berries off of some bush in my side yard. Eric, my son and I spent a couple of hours watching them feast on their winter dessert.
I have fond memories of my recovery from my long road of surviving cancer.Although there was much pain and sadness. i kept my spirits
high. My friends were in awe of the wonderful attitude i had during the bleakest time of my life. The joy of the creatures living around me gave me hope to reach for the goal of my own future. those simple things can bring us joy.
With everything there is a season,Interior design has a season as well. I have found so many clients wanting
the latest look. however I love the idea of reinventing the past and putting an eclectic look together that is more to my client's lifestyle.
We take from our past, blend it together. Old becomes new again. i have found that the best gift is the present that we open right now. Make the most of the season. Smile at the simple things. Aim to make the best of what you have.
During the darkest hour, hold fast,A new day is here. Look forward with delight. remember this season with fond memories. It isn't what you buy for someone that matters. It is what you give from your heart...

The following blog was apart of a cherished part of my life. I will always remember it gladly.
take care,

john



















































A mid century modern house was the perfect back drop to blend an eclectic mix of styles such as Asian cabinets,modern furniture, ethnic and Art Deco silk area rugs, Roseville(Arts and Crafts period) and Jonathan Adler pottery.



Last summer, Chase and I scoured many different stores throughout the Portland area. We usually frequented http://www.consignmentgalleryportland.com/ . We found an iron and glass top coffee table from the recently closed Urbino Home. This was a good thing. the last coffee table was eaten by his English Mastiff, Mr. Magoo. The 50's style lounge chairs were in mint condition in the original peacock blue fabric. The Greek key motif pillows are a cut velvet from http://www.clarencehouse.com/ .


The colourful large area rug was a wonderful find from http://www.ebay.com/. Chase redid the floors through out his house in a warm cork tile. It truly looks outstanding. The Parson style solid teak dining table and chairs were also found at the consignment store. The chairs were originally covered in a yellow and red rooster toile. It didn't take long before we had them reupholstered in Moccasin stripe colour: parrot from http://www.pollackassociates.com/ . The kidney pillows were remade in Mod a blue-green pattern with the backside in Accolade colour pimiento(cotton velvet) also from Pollack.






The pillows on the sofa are Velours Klee from Clarence House made from remnants from another design project that I had completed a couple of years ago. The sofa was one of the only new pieces that was purchased. The collection of boxes came from various retail stores such as http://www.shopcielo.com/ and http://www.saintmaine.com/



Having a good eye for design, buying at the right time, watching till the price is right is very important when shopping at consignment stores.


This was a fun project.Shopping for old or used was a great way to test my hand at being more sustainable. Maybe one day I will remember to recycle my plastic.As long as someone else takes it to the curb. ha! ha! ha!


wishing you the best,
John










No comments: