Thursday, October 8, 2009

Things Are Not As They Appear.















































"Things are not as they appear" were a group of words that someone once told me to give me understanding in a time shrouded with pain, mystery and the unknown future. I never quite understood what that meant. I would have preferred to just have it put to me very bluntly instead. After all the suffering I had gone through, the blunt truth would have been best. As with most things in life the mystery of the future can only be revealed as the next page of our life's novel is opened. I have since learned to write my own future and taken charge of my own destiny. Those words have become my inspiration for today's blog which is show you how to trick the eye with the ancient art of trompe l'oeil.
take care beloved readers.

love,

john

What is trompe l'oeil decoration? Trompe l'oeil is a French term which means "fools the eye". It is the use of painting techniques to create an illusion of textured surfaces as well as to give three dimensional appearances to flat walls and ceilings. Through the use of shading, artists are able to produce these desired three dimensional effects. This is unlike decorative painting, which only serves to embellish a surface rather than to give it the appearance of depth.



Trompe l'oeil painting has been used for over two thousand years and as a painting style dates back to 400 BC. It was part of the rich culture of the Greek and Roman Empires. Although the style has changed over time, the concept behind it has remained the same. Early examples of trompe l'oeil can be found in the ruins of Pompeii as well as Eurculaneum, which dates back to the first century AD and are the only murals of ancient trompe l'oeil that exist today.

No comments: