Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Be Graciously Thankful This Year!












Reflecting back on the significance of being surrounded by what is important, family and friends return home. They gather around the dining table to set aside differences and for a moment are thankful. Thankful for many reasons. The act of dining together has often been a time when peace between enemies was established. This season of Thanksgiving I am thankful for the incredible journey that I have made over the last couple of years. It was about this time in 2007 when I kept a vast secret from my family and friends that altered every one's life forever. I didn't want to spoil the holidays.This was the gamble that I took. I just wanted a few months of happiness before I had to face the fear of the unknown. For anyone that has read my blog, I am referring to my diagnosis of stage 3 colon cancer.
I now look back as a triumphant survivor. I began this blog about interior design as a way to cope with my ordeal. I wanted to have control of something I couldn't change. It became very empowering to share about my passion for interiors.
Years ago I came across something else that was inspiring
My inspiration for my passion could be found in Proverbs 24:3&4.
"Through wisdom a house is built and by understanding it is established by knowledge. The rooms are filled with all precious and pleasant riches."

As Interior Designers our quest for beauty fills our client's homes with art, antiques,accessories and furniture both modern and traditional. Every detail from the lighting, colour, textiles and texture is well thought out. We give our presentations. Sell our products and services to our clients who desire to have their surroundings filled with these luxuries.These inspirational words also helped me to be thankful for my most precious gift of all. That gift is my son, Eric.
Everyday I am thankful for my son. As a single father, I have learned about the joy and unwavering love that a child can give. His care and nurturing love helped me over the last year and a half. He was the one person that I could truly depend on. When others failed or just walked away for no apparent reason, he was there. This experience although painful and tragic gave me strength to survive. My son was worth traveling down that horrible road to survival. We are rebuilding our lives and moving forward. We are happy to be there for each other.
This season fill your house with pleasant riches and be graciously thankful for those precious in your lives.

most fondly,
John

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said, it is amazing what one has to go through to get to a better point in life, and to realize what really matters.

I am honored to call you my friend. keep forging forward..... (II)

dpb

M said...

What a beautiful feature; very poignant. And how very true. Thanks for sharing. (And is that a picture of your son? Great, happy shot. And how's that for a living room shot, with the deep blue walls! Eye-catching and very inviting.)
Best,
Michael

Garrison Hullinger said...

Very poignant entry, John. Thanks for sharing, and of course for throwing in your design inspirations. Is the first pic in the post a Miles Redd room? Love it.