Friday, April 9, 2010

wonderful memories are like perennials. They keep growing back.

Today, I got a phone call from my friend, Mary. She wanted to find out how I was doing. I had to let her know that in February of 2010, I ended up back in the hospital in the emergency room. I came out two weeks later, after surviving yet another near death experience. This time I had a blocked intestine. It was twisted like a garden hose. I was reminded of the lovely garden party that her and her husband, peter had hosted last summer. I wrote the blog featured below. For photos Please go to the original blog in July 2009.
It is a wonderful spring afternoon. I wish you all a wonderful weekend. All is well.The most beautiful flower is one that is grown in adversity. I am a perennial...

Welcome life.
take care,
john


Wednesday, July 22, 2009
white night





My dear friend and outstanding interior designer, Mary Roberts invited me to her home for a quiet evening with a few of our friends.During my year and 1/2 struggle surviving stage 3 colorectal cancer, Mary was there like a devoted mother. She came to visit me ever so often to check up on me. She and I would have wonderful chats.The encouragement she gave throughout this time truly gave strength in my horrible situation.
She was also a devoted friend to my friend and employer, the late Wayne Martin. The founder of Wayne Martin Inc,the premier designer's showroom in Portland, Oregon.
I remember when Mary and her husband Peter lived in the garden apartment in his building downtown, he would always rave about her wonderful dinners that she would prepare and bring up to him. The first time that I had gotten a hint of what white could do to an interior was when Wayne had asked me to return her casserole dish.

Her home is filled full of beautiful objects and furniture covered in various tones of white. benches covered in Fortuny, ottomans in simple white cotton, a french armchair in a subtle tone on tone stripe. The walls were a very pale grey almost white. She had antique botanicals in simple gold frames above the fireplace.

As anyone knows that has read my blog before I am all about colour, stripes and graphic patterns. That night I fell in love with white for the first time. These photos that I have included are not her home and do not do it justice. You will have to imagine the true beauty that is her home.
It wasn't the perfect amount of light that created the warmth in her white rooms. It was the warmth of her graciousness and hospitality that gave each room that depth of colour. The Vivid colour that flowed through her home was the enchantment of the evening, the conversations that were had by our mutual friends and of course the pale summery colours that we wore in our clothes.
It was a truly a beautiful evening spent with enduring friends.
thank you Mary for sharing the beauty that is your heart and your home.


love, john
Posted by john thompson at 6:30 AM

No comments: